Woods arson is a common term for deliberately burning forests, grasslands, or brush without the owner’s permission. It is a major cause of wildfire in South Carolina. Woods arson is felony under state law, punishable by fines of up to $5000 or imprisonment for up to 5 years.
How to report woods arson
Please call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC to report arson or any other crime.
If you have information about an alleged or pending woods arson case, you can report it to SCFC Law Enforcement Chief Tommy Mills at (803) 896-8818. The Forestry Commission does not offer rewards for information.
Please give as much information as you have available, including:
- Location and time of the fire
- Name of person responsible, if known
- Description of persons observed at the scene
- Description of any vehicles observed at the scene
- Any other pertinent information
- Your name and phone number (optional)