We welcome your Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) requests
The South Carolina Forestry Commission is committed to open, transparent and responsive government. We take seriously our responsibilities to taxpayers and the general public in providing helpful, timely and courteous service with regard to requests for any public information for which our agency is responsible.
The South Carolina Forestry Commission is likewise subject to all Freedom of Information-related legislation, including the guidelines set forth in the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act, S.C. Code 30-4-10 et. seq.
How we handle FOIA requests
All requests for public records pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act can be made in writing (physical or digital, including email, mail and/or fax). It is helpful, though not necessary, to indicate that you are “requesting FOIA-able information under the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act” in the subject/introduction of your notification, as doing so will prioritize it above other communications and action items.
To assist the SCFC staff with your request – and to better ensure a more accurate response – please be as specific as possible about the information/records you are requesting.
How to make a FOIA request of our agency
By email (preferred)
Please send all FOIA requests directly to SCFC Director of Communications Doug Wood at email@example.com or (803) 896-8820.
South Carolina Forestry Commission
Attention: Doug Wood
5500 Broad River Road
Columbia SC 29212
Fees and charges
As prescribed in Procedure 1204 of the South Carolina Forestry Commission’s Procedures Manual, the agency handles fees and charges related to Freedom Of Information Act requests as follows:
- 1204.10 – There will be no charge to inspect public records at the site where they reside if such records are readily available.
- .11 – For specific records involving a staff search, the search time will be charged at the lowest hourly earning rate among employees capable of conducting that particular search.
- .12 – For copying records, a charge of $.50 per 8 ½ x 11 page will be assessed; a charge of $1.00 per page will be assessed for copies larger than 8 ½ x 11.
- .13 – Notwithstanding the above, no charges will be made:
- .131 – For specific requests of available materials originating from a local, state, or federal government agency; or
- .132 – For requests when the estimated cost, regardless of the requestor, is $10 or less
- .13 – In all cases where fees and charges may accrue, SCFC will estimate the cost and advise the requestor prior to beginning the work.
- .14 – For search and/or copy requests estimated to exceed $50, the agency may require a 50% deposit prior to filling the request.
- .15 – When material is to be faxed, mailed, or e-mailed, any fees and charges must be paid in full before the material is transmitted.
- .16 – Faxing materials pursuant to an FOIA request is limited to 20 pages.